Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Progress

I've got my temporary residency now, at least a carnet that says that the paperwork is in process, so I'm not a tourist anymore. It's cost about $500, which is really cheap as far as these things go. It definitely helps to (1) be married to a Panamanian and (2) have a couple of lawyers in the family who of course, didn't charge. The Lovely Wife did all the talking, I just signed and posed for photos when needed. It took several trips to Migracion in David, which we expected, lots of those stamps (timbres) that you can only buy at Banco Nacional, and photocopies of everything, notarized, of course. It takes patience, but it can done with minimal stress if you're willing.

Since I got a card in hand once the residency paperwork was turned in, I was expecting the same for the work permit. Different Ministerio, mostly the same photocopies with timbres, but no work permit for a month or two.  I can't work for someone else.. I could work for myself, though. Decisions, decisions.

In other progress, there's a heck of a road project going on next to our house. Well, there's one house between us and the road actually. It's the new road between David, the capital of Chiriqui, and Boquete, the capital of.. coffee, tourism and the gateway to the highest point in Panama, Volcan Baru.

They're moving right along:


Lots of machinery, new bridges


Explosions that rattle the windows



Look out for those light poles! They build the road, then move them.


It's all good. Everyone will get wherever they're going quicker, safer and happier.



No comments:

Post a Comment