Saturday, September 3, 2011

How about that rain?

Man, it rains here. There was a saying I heard a long while back:  "It was raining like a cow peeing on a flat rock". It probably stuck in my head because it sounds dumb, but here.. it would be a herd of cows peeing on something. I wanted to find out how much water was falling per day. I know it's a lot, but how much?

Rain sheet off the roof.
Well,  It rained over an inch today. Over 106 inches this year.  Damn, that's almost NINE FEET OF WATER. If it wasn't for the incredibly quick run-off, we'd all be treading water, that's for sure. Compare that to Southern California, where it rains 10 inches a year on average. Rain was a special occasion there, celebrated with extra car accidents.


The down-spout from the neighbor's roof.
That's a really great site I'm linking to.. Boquete Weather. They have a really great explanation of weather in Panama. That's the info I used to explain to Peace Corps trainees years ago about tropical climate and weather.

Speaking of great links, here's the best compilation I've seen for Chiriqui. Kudos to Chiriqui Chatter, which is a class act. Here's their link page: which pretty much has it all.  I've got it bookmarked.

No comments:

Post a Comment